We took Peyton to the pediatrician in early Oct for a puffy, red eye. After several weeks of thinking it was allergies "or something," my mom & Steve's dad, on separate occasions, suggested we take him in. My mom thought it was a stye, and she was right. The pediatrician prescribed us some eyedrops and we were on our way.
Stye's aren't contagious and Peyton wasn't in pain, so that was a good thing. We were told to come back in two weeks if it wasn't gone.
Fast forward three weeks and the stye looked better, but it was still there. *Side note, thank goodness it's under his eyelid instead of on the eyelid, like most styes. Now that the redness is gone, you'd never know it was there unless you pulled his lid down. Phew!
So, we went back to the pediatrician and he referred us to an eye specialist because he wasn't quite sure at this point what it was. Great.
We then go to a pediatric eye specialist, only to find out within seconds it's what's left of his stye. Nothing to be worried about and it could be there for months. We just need to keep an eye on it (no pun intended!) and scrub his lids at bath time, then come back in the Spring if it's still there.
I guess stye's are caused from the oils in our eye lids that get blocked. Peyton's apparently in an environment where he's susceptible to get one, and I'm sure combined with his skin type, he's a good candidate.
So thankfully it's nothing. But I really hope it's gone by the Spring and it doesn't have to be surgically removed. It doesn't look like it's shrinking much, but I vow not to worry until then. =)
I do want to gripe about our pediatrician (who wasn't the one we normally see) for telling us it should be gone in 2 weeks when we learned they can last for up to 10 months! The eye specialist also wasn't sure why he was given drops, since it wasn't an infection. (Although they did seem to work.) I know doctor's aren't specialists in all subject areas, but what made me upset the most is that I could sense he didn't know what he was doing and I didn't ask to see another peditrition in the office. Instead I paid for two visits and then for an eye specialist. So annoying!
Okay, I feel a little better venting!
On a random note, today was Regis' last day from Live! with Regis & Kelly and that makes me sad! I loved that combo and will be curious to see how it is with a replacement.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! And GO DEVILS! BEAT THOSE CATS!


No comments:
Post a Comment