Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Potty Training!!

I wanna scream at the top of my lungs, "PEYTON WENT POO ON THE POTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I swear this kid is an angel.

How it went down:
We've been reading potty books for about 6 months now.  I have the pull-ups.  I have the big-boy undies.  I (now) have the cookies.  I have the knowledge and I have a son who is totally ready, but I have a huge fear -- that I will fail at doing this the right way & make the process even worse.  So I've been procrastinating.  Then enter the big boy bed = the prefect excuse to procrastinate potty training even longer.  Who wants to deal with two major milestones at once?  =)

Anyway, I hit the jackpot when I found the book, "Potty Train" at the library - a story about riding a choo-choo train to get potty trained.  Funny, Peyton started calling it "Potty Choo Choo" which made us laugh. I also found a book called, "My Big Boy Underwear" which we've been reading & he loves. I believe the books are what made this process easy.  And introducing it early on with books, then watching his interest change slowly over the 6 months of reading them was a huge cue to me that he's excited and ready.  Not to mention that we're completely settled into his new bed, so that's no excuse anymore.

So Monday morning came and Peyton said, "Mama, me potty train!"  Now I'm not sure if he was telling me he wanted to be potty trained or if he was just still excited about the book, but when a kid tells you, "Mama, me potty train"... YOU TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY AND YOU BETTER POTTY TRAIN THE KID!  He's since requested it yesterday morning and today, so I'm all about it!

Monday morning:
He went pee on the potty first thing after waking up.  Wore undies for about an hour, accident free, then we headed to library class so he wore a diaper the rest of the day.

Tuesday morning:
Pee'd on the potty first thing after waking up.  I asked him after 30 min to please try and go and got a huge NO.  Yikes.  How do I deal with this?  Well, he understands A LOT, so I told him for the hundredth time to make sure and tell me when he has to go.  About an hour+ later, we go outside and instantly, he pees (hey, I'll take an easy clean-up!).  He tells me, "Uh oh" and he stops.  We rush to the potty and he finishes, a lot.  Then he wears undies for another hour or so with no accidents, no bathroom at all.  Diaper for nap and rest of day.

Wednesday morning:
Pee'd on potty first thing.  Asked after 30 min if he had to go, got a huge NO!  Okay, I'll leave it up to him to tell me.  30 min later, "Uh oh.  Poop!"  Rush to the potty, thank goodness only a pebble had come out and then he pushed a few more pebbles out on the potty (poor boy's constipated, but I was expecting a mess and pebbles aren't messy!).  15 min later the same thing, "Poop mama!" so we rush to the potty in time for him to take a BIG BIG POOP ON THE POTTY!!!!!!!  We celebrated!!!  Then he had a little tiny pee accident about 45 min later.  It didn't even hit the ground, his undies were just a tad bit wet.  After this he asked for his diaper.  I then bribed him with a sucker to wear undies.  Up until now I really hadn't bribed him at all - praise was enough.  Then nothing until nap time when he took a big pee on the potty prior to his nap!

If the rest of the week goes this well, I have some major thanking to do (up above!).  I'm expecting a fall back only because that's what happened with the big boy bed.  First few nights/naps were awesome, then a struggle happened.  But fingers crossed it continues to go well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment