Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Peyton's first ear infection (hmph).

I am not very proud to be writing about this.  But, I might feel better about it if I do.

Peyton got his first ear infection last week.  Talk about guilt!  Who knew a mother could feel guilty when her son got an ear infection?

Well for starters, I never thought I would have a kid who got ear infections (I'm sure many of you moms laugh at this) but really, I just never thought he would get them.  And hopefully that can remain true, with this being his first & last.  (A girl can dream!)

Secondly, I feel as though had I been able to nurse Peyton longer than I did, he wouldn't have gotten an ear infection... and that's where the guilt comes from.

Well anyway, our poor baby woke up last Tuesday night at 11:30pm, just as I snuggled myself into bed, and he didn't go back to sleep until 2:30am.  Yes, for 3 hours straight he was crying in pain.  We tried everything, including bringing him into our bed, and nothing worked.  Finally I realized he was in the most pain laying flat, so I slept on the couch with him all night, propped up on me.

We got him into the pediatrician stat that next morning and learned he has a left ear infection.  He was given amoxicillin and tylenol w/ codeine.  Tidbit: we also learned he weighs exactly 23 pounds with clothes and a diaper on.  =)

Soooo, after 24-48 hours on antibiotics, he started coming back to his old self again... just in time for his buddy Owen's first birthday party that was on Saturday!  But, he has a nasty cough still, and I think we overdid it with him this past weekend because he started to regress.  I spent all day Sunday and Monday making sure he got his rest though, and it's safe to say he's over the worst, which makes us all very happy!

Here's to no more ear infections.  EVER!

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel guilty for an ear infection! I know babies who have been exclusively breast fed, who STILL get ear infections, so it's NOT your fault! Also, I can't believe he's 23 lbs!!!! Jansen's only 25 lbs! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rach, that does make me feel better. :)
    I can't believe Peyton's nearly as big as Jansen! Wowsa!

    ReplyDelete